NOTE:

Dear visitor (if there is any) please note the following: The blog "Broken Radius" is hosted at Google Blogger's server. I can therefore not guarantee that your visit to the blog or any comment you write wont be recorded by the NSA. If you have any worries about this, you can visit instead my alternative blog Letters-to-a-Persian-Cat. This one is hosted at a European server which hopefully acknowledges visitors privacy.

30.6.10

No tears about a failed PCR, Baby

Hello Ghazal,
I hope you are not in the lab anymore. You work a lot, maybe too much, my dear. I hope this is because you like the project, I hope it is not because life outside the lab does not bear any promises for you.
I did not checked the weather-forcast for tomorrow, but my superstition tells me that whenever one plans something nice, it will be sunny. Lets see.
In the worst case, we can quit the beach and go somewhere else, into town if you want to hear some music or to watch a movie (yesterday the movie-festival started here in Munich). But I would prefer to go to the lake.
I checked our collection of DVDs which can be played with english tone. Not many hollywood block-buster among them, unfortunately. Some Stanley Kubrik classics, "Cabaret" featuring Liza Minelli, "Hitchhikers Guide through the Universe", "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and "Brazil". You have probably never heard these titles, but if you like I can give them to you (none of them is really bad, none of them is adult-only. They are entertaining, I would say.)

How do you spend the evening ? Have you tried the Himalaya-rice already ? The chocolate you brought is delicious, but it is such a large box, it will last for month.

Relax, Take care, Don"t forget to put out the candle before you go to bed.

Michael

...............................................................................................
Hi Michael,

I did a lot today in the lab, but I only got bad results. You will see the gel for the modified PCR tomorrow. And the other gel that I ran had really weak bands, so i run it on the PCR overnight again.

After lab I always get tired and just want to go back home to study and relax. But it is very kind of you to think about me, i appreciate that you care. but i prefer to just go home and relax.

i havent tried the rice yet, was too tired. but i will. maybe tomorrow.
good that you liked the chocolate. i bought one for claudia as well.

you were right , i have never heard of the movies you suggested. sounds like books? and you know what i think about books.

take care goodnight

/ghazal
...............................................................................................

Hi Ghazal, my dear,

Sorry to hear that your evening yesterday was overshadowed by the frustrations about this unseccessful PCR. Don"t take it personel !!
I"m sure there was something wrong either with the new batch of the green master-mix (might be they gave me the last two packs and they were already old) or I made a mistake when setting-up the new PCR program. We will check today.
But it is also important during a project to experience that things don"t always run perfect, and pitfalls can happen everyday. But it is crucial trying to find out why it happened and consequently trying to eliminate the source.
Don"t worry, we will find the bug that made you so sad yesterday evening (or to speak with H.C.Anderson, we will find the "pea under the matress that did not let you sleep").

No tears, please.

See you today

Michael

1 comment: